Sunday, December 18, 2011

Who is Qin and why should I know him?

Holiday break arrived with the playing of games and the laughter of friends....and the ending of exams!

Finally!

I calculated my hours of studying for my 5 exams, each 2.5 hours, and I got to (duh dum dum): 37.33 hours of studying in less than one week. Whew. That's a lot. At least for me.

And as I was studying, I came up with another great metaphor for the school system/administration.


Pictured above is Qin Shihuangdi (I wouldn't check that spelling if I were you; I know it's not right). He doesn't look too nice, does he? Nope. Well he's not.

 Long story short, he is the self-proclaimed emperor who started the Qin Dynasty in China in the Classical Era (around 600BCE). His rule is characterized by harsh punishments and grueling public works projects, like the building of his tomb, which is famous for it's life sized terra cotta warriors.

The building of such incredible works caused ill will among the people and led to rebellions and such that eventually ended his rule.

Now how do you feel about him right now? You don't like old Qin, do you? You think he's mean and unfair and he got what he deserved, right?

Now let's generate all those angry feelings towards the school system.

Well, here's when the metaphor comes in. Bear with me here (yes, it's bear not bare. I looked it up), the school system is like Qin, and we, the students, are like the workers being forced into doing ridiculous tasks that don't benefit us at all (AKA building tombs=doing homework).

What I'm trying to say is that all of our "ill will" is eventually going to boil over, and we will rebel! I hope! Better be soon!

All I know is I'm way to burnt out from exams to start this whole rebellion, so someone else needs to start it!

No comments:

Post a Comment